My Blog List

Spinner-Journal #4

                             Spinner

                      Spinner is a virtual manipulative can be used to teach about chance and random choices.
In my first practicum I had this chance to teach Math for grade 8 students from the second day .I taught chapter 4 (Fractions)and chapter 5(Probabilities)from their text book.
In the probabilities I used some math manipulative to help students to understand the lesson better, one of them was spinner .
I got that most of the students never seen the real spinner so I  prepared some and use them in the class.First day I gave each student one spinner and ask them watch it as a toy and do what ever that you in 5 minutes.


After 5 minutes when I felt that they are ready for new lesson ,I started.I prepared some small printed paper.In those small paper ,which they were in the same size as real spinner, I divided a circle to 5 sections and marked each section  as the first letter of colours.For example O as orange or Y as yellow .
I asked them to put this paper under their spinners an spin it .After turning briefly ,it stops in one of the coloured regions and each student should answer these questions: 
What is the probability of spinning Red?1/5
What is the probability of spinning Blue or Green? 2/5
What is the probability of spinning any colour?1
What is the probability of spinning Black?(Black was not in the colours)0/5=0
How many possible out comes are there?5



For the second part,I asked each student change spinner regions' name.What ever that they want .like names of week days,car brands ,foods..and ask the fiend beside each other.




For the last part change the size of spinner like change it to 4 or more sections.





















No comments:

Post a Comment